Saturday, December 17, 2022

Hickory provideth and Hickory Taketh Away

As all food is political, and Hickory is the tyrantacat of the Dogs Plot Cats, even though he has food always on his plate here inside, he goes out with me to feed the others, and head bumps them in a family way, and joinst them for a bite, unless he first needs to chase Tramp away, whom he doesn't tolerate for some reason, catilitical. Lately, because it has been cold, I feed them both dry food and soup of my left- over food. Hickory was already outside somewhere this evening when I put the soup and crunchies. Out hunting, as it turns out and because he wants to be an independent provider, he didn't just eat his mouse where he caught it, but brought it up to the feeding place , lay down with the mouse, growled at everybody, and ate the whole thing himself. I once had a little hawk, a kestrel, that I fed on mice the cats brought in. But he would always leave the gall bladder. I mean...wouldn't YOU? Is it because of domestication that Cats sometimes lack god-old animal sense?

No comments: