Friday, January 17, 2020

Alarm, Flock Chaos, and an Unfortunate Misunderstanding:



I was in the car and ready to pull out of the driveway, when Georgia got
in and said there was a general alarm among the chickens, so I ran down
to the chicken house, burt I have poor hearing in one ear as a result
of a recent infection, so I had to run around the plot,,,, a
lot...before I found the rooster Coperanicus up on the Sumach ridge
squalling, and in the grape vine tangle behind him, two hens: One was
squawking loudy with both wings hooked over vine crotches, and another
hen screaching and trying either to free her or peck her to death. I
broke through the tangle to them, and removed the hung-up hen from her
imprisonment, after which the other hen snuggled her, as you see here,
but after a short snuggling session the freed hen attacked her
comforter, if that is what she was; so then I pulled the freed hen away
by the feet, took her under my arm to the dog house, and left her in its
attic with some bread. As far as I can see down at the chicken house,
all is well enough with the hens, but I have not yet gotten over it.

No comments: